Josep Borrell praises Rwanda’s efforts to protect refugees evacuated from Libya.
On 25 Oct. 2021, Honorable Minister Marie Solange KAYISIRE welcomed to Gashora Emergency Transit Mechanism (ETM) Center Mr. Josep Borrell; the EU High Representative/Vice-President European Commission. The visit had as objective to witness ongoing activities of providing life-saving protection and assistance to refugees evacuated from Libya.
The visit was characterized by different events including a short meeting with government and UNHCR officials, a guided tour around the center and tree planting.
Josep Borrell said his visit to Gashora was an opportunity to witness a huge responsibility by the Government of Rwanda to welcome hundreds of refugees and asylum seekers evacuated from Libya and protect them. He commended the Government of Rwanda and the people for solidarity, generosity and giving hope to vulnerable asylum seekers and refugees in Africa in need of protection and safety.
“It’s an impressive example of Intra-African solidarity. It’s very moving to see these people here, they are much better than in Libya, they have hope. So we have to thank the Rwandan people and the Rwandan Government for their support.” Said Mr. Josep Borrell; the EU High Representative.
The Minister in charge of Emergency Management KAYISIRE Marie Solange commended EU support to the ETM and emphasized that the cooperation is key to successful refugee protection and assistance.
“EU delegation witnessed ongoing activities of protection and assistance to refugees evacuated from Libya. The EU provide a significant support to effective operations of the ETM and we commend the current good cooperation that enhances protection and assistance to persons of concern.” Said Minister KAYISIRE.
Currently Rwanda hosts 215 asylum seekers in ETM Centre Gashora. A total of 648 refugees and asylums seekers were received from Libya starting from September 26, 2019 when the first group composed of 66 people was received. So far six groups have been received as of today.
Different partners operating in ETM Centre Gashora, provide refugees with accommodation, food, water, medical care, psychosocial support, and language classes.
A Memorandum of Understanding between the Government of Rwanda, UNHCR and African Union was signed in September 2019 to establish the working terms and conditions for an Emergency Transit Mechanism (ETM) in Rwanda to serve as the safe pathway for refugees, and asylum-seekers who are currently trapped in Libya facing serious protection risks.
The Emergency Transit Mechanism was established to temporarily host evacuees for their stay in Rwanda, while rable solutions including repatriation and resettlement are being identified.
Rwanda is hosting a four-day regional technical workshop (27–30 April 2026) focused on strengthening multi-hazard risk assessment, advancing…
A total of 403 Rwandan returnees arrived on Thursday, April 16, from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) through the La Corniche One Stop Border…
Rwanda has launched a new initiative to strengthen climate resilience, disaster risk reduction and sustainable resource management, in partnership…
Rwanda today convened the Country-Level Global Refugee Forum (GRF) Progress Review Meeting, organised in partnership with UNHCR Rwanda, bringing…
Residents of Karongi District, particularly refugees living in Kiziba Refugee Camp and surrounding communities, have welcomed the construction of the…
The Government of Rwanda is upgrading Ngarama Hospital to replace the old infrastructure, with the project expected to cost over Frw 16 billion,…
Permanent Secretary NGOGA Aristarque opened and participated in the first session of a training on disaster risk management and fire drills for…
From 15 to 17 December 2025, Rwanda reaffirmed its leadership in progressive and sustainable refugee response at the Global Refugee Forum (GRF)…
The Ministry in Charge of Emergency Management (MINEMA), in collaboration with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), has launched a five-day…